Parnell Park Community and Senior Center
15390 Lambert Rd.
Whittier Uptown Senior Center
13225 Walnut St.
Senior Center Information
The City of Whittier Community Services Division cordially welcomes you to participate at one of our two Senior Citizen Centers located in the City of Whittier – Parnell Park Senior Center and the Whittier Uptown Senior Center. We are proud to present a comprehensive program of recreational activities and social services for adults, 55 years of age and older. Both facilities offer socialization and drop-in programs as well as educational classes, special events, cultural activities, lectures, health screenings, exercise programs, volunteer opportunities and much more.
Membership of the Centers is just $3 per year for Seniors, 55 and older. Benefits include discounts for special events, dances, and trips etc.
Monthly newsletters highlighting the current schedule of activities and trips are available on line, and at each center.
For more information, please call (562) 567-9470 for the Whittier Uptown Senior Center and (562) 567-9450 for Parnell Park Senior Center.
See information about renting our Senior Center facilities for your event.
The Whittier Uptown Senior Center and Parnell Park Senior Center provide weekly recreation/instruction classes in art (oils, watercolor, stained glass and quilting), line dancing, fitness, and hikes. Educational classes, discussion groups, lectures and film series are held regularly. Drop-in activities include card playing, billiards, reading and writing, table tennis, etc. Social activities, dances and special events, excursions, and entertainment are also on the calendar.
Fun and Healthy Activities
Parnell Hikers walked the Arroyo Pescadero & Deer Loop trails. See the monthly newsletter for the current schedule of walks.
General Information and Meeting Times
Whittier Dial-A-Ride Cards
- $5 for 10 rides
- $10 for 20 rides
- Proof of age required
Disabled American Vets Meeting
- 3rd Saturday of odd month
- 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. at Whittier Senior Center
American Legion Post 51
- 3rd Tuesday of each month
- 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. at Whittier Senior Center
SASSFA Nutrition Program
- Meals, Lunchtime on Monday to Friday (except holidays) at Whittier Senior Center. Application and advanced reservations required.
American War Mothers
- 2nd Saturday
- 8:15 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
Free Legal Counseling
- 3rd Thursday of every month from 9:30 am. at the Whittier Uptown Senior Center (By Appointment Only).
- Call (562) 567-9470
- Class provided at both Parnell Senior Center and the Uptown Senior Centers.
- Come and watch some great movies on the big screen TV at 1 p.m. every Wednesday at Parnell Senior Center, and Monday/Friday at 1 p.m. at the Whittier Uptown Senior Center.
Hearing Aid Check
- 1st Wednesday of the month at both Senior Centers (By Appointment Only).
- Classes will be held at both Senior Centers. Please call for scheduled days.
Join the Walking Group
- The Walking Group meets Tuesday at 9 a.m. at the Whittier Uptown Senior Center (unless otherwise noted).
Information and Referral
- For information and/or referrals to social service agencies (i.e. housing, in-home care, assisted living, emergency food, etc), call the Information & Referral Office at (562) 567-9476.
HICAP at Whittier Uptown Senior Center
- 2nd Fridays, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- The state-registered Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program Volunteer Counselor Daniel Hsu provides unbiased information, counseling and assistance on Medicare and related health care coverage. This service in by APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Grief Support at Whittier Uptown Senior Center
- 4th Friday, 10:00 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.
- Join Remita Health in exploring new ways to cope with feelings of loss and loneliness in a caring and supportive environment. Spanish is available.
- 2nd Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. at Parnell Senior Center.
- 4th Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. at Whittier Uptown Senior Center.
- Lead by Priscilla Flores-Hernandez (Bi-Lingual) from the Southern California Resources Services for Independent Living. Safe and judgement free environment where you can re-discover your voice as you give and receive support to many issues women struggle with. Self-esteem,identity, relationships, work/life balance, family, health and much more.
Kinship Support Group-Relatives Caring for Children
- 4th Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. at Whittier Uptown Senior Center
- Offers peer counseling and support to the many extended family members raising their relatives children. Services provided by (DCSF) Department of Children and Family Services.
Senior Volunteer of the Year
The City of Whittier Senior Center is proud to present Graciela Oropeza as the 2018 City of Whittier Senior Center Volunteer
In 1994 Graciela came to the Whittier Senior Center and immediately started volunteering in the Nutrition program. She learned all aspects of the job, from making coffee, putting out the condiments, serving the food and cleanup of the equipment and supplies. Graciela helps in the nutrition program daily. She has a calm but enthusiastic nature, which is very helpful when working with people. In addition to volunteering in the nutrition room, Graciela also has taken the lead in our Chair Fitness exercise class, three times a week. Even though it is on video, Graciela makes sure each morning the video is in proper working order, takes in the signup sheet and also monitors the participants to make sure they are doing the exercises correctly. And if she wasn’t busy enough, once a week, Graciela will sing, with a live band, at the nutrition program, while the participants dance. Graciela is an individual who does her work avoiding the limelight. She is very dedicated and supportive to the participants attending the center. The staff and volunteers at the Whittier Senior Center truly appreciate his dedication to our older adults and our center. We look forward to working with Graciela for many more years.
Volunteers are always needed to help in the following areas:
- Nutrition Site
- Front Desk Receptionist
- Information and Referral Office
- Special Events
- Donations of dolls, yarn, material and fabrics are always accepted at the Uptown Senior Center. Please call for more information.
Come see us if you are interested in volunteering at the Senior Center.
Please view the quarterly Community Services brochure for more programs.