Parnell Park Community and Senior Center
15390 Lambert Rd.
Whittier Uptown Senior Center
13225 Walnut St.
Senior Center Information
The City of Whittier Community Services Division cordially welcomes you to participate at the Whittier Senior Center. We are proud to present a comprehensive program of human services and recreation activities for the mature adult, 55 years of age and older. These facilities offer drop-in programs as well as educational classes, specials events, lectures, health screenings, exercise programs, volunteer opportunities and much more.
Membership to the centers is just $3 per year for Seniors 55 years of age and older. Benefits include discounts for special events, dances, trips, as well as early bird signups for the trips.
For a physical copy of the newsletter, current schedule of programs or trips, stop by one of the facilities.
See information about renting our Senior Center facilities for your event.
The Whittier Uptown Senior Center and Parnell Park Senior Center provide weekly recreation/instruction classes in art (oils, watercolor, stained glass and quilting), line dancing, fitness, and hikes. Educational classes, discussion groups, lectures and film series are held regularly. Drop-in activities include card playing, billiards, reading and writing, table tennis, etc. Social activities, dances and special events, excursions, and entertainment are also on the calendar.
Fun and Healthy Activities
Did you know that taking 10,000 steps a day is recommended for good health? The City Walkers/Hikers meet several mornings out of the month. It is a great opportunity to work out, enjoy the company of friends, and the best part is, it is Free! The “Over the Hill Extended Hike” is one that varies locations on the 2nd Monday of each month. We ask that you wear appropriate shoes and clothing as well as bring a sack lunch to eat after for this hike. Sign up by the 1st Thursday of each month. This particular hike is very active with lots of walking. Seating is limited and reservations are required. If the “Over the Hill Extended Hike” seems too extensive, then there is always the “Over the Hill Mini Hike” that varies locations and is the 4th Friday of each month. For this hike, we only ask that you wear appropriate shoes and clothing. If you wish to participate in this hike, please sign up by the 3rd Friday of each month. Seating is limited and reservations are required. For any other questions or reservations, please call Parnell Park (562) 567-9450.
If Hiking is not quite what you are looking for, then there is also the Whittier Walking Group, the “Tuesday Uptown Senior Walkers”. This group uses local sites or utilize public transportation to get their steps in. The Walking Group meets Tuesday’s at various times and locations. Please call the Uptown Senior Center for more information. Green Line Location is at 12902 Hoxie Ave. Norwalk Ca 90650
General Information and Meeting Times
Whittier Dial-A-Ride Cards
Dial-A-Ride (DAR) is a service of the City of Whittier for residents who need a little extra help to get where they are going. DAR is a shared ride system. DAR also organizes pick-ups and drop-offs in a ways that allows them to serves as many residents as possible. The vehicles can easily accommodate wheelchairs and walkers. City of Whittier residents who are 60 and over or, residents with a qualifying disability that prevents driving or use of public transportation (doctor’s certification required) are eligible. DAR can take you within City limits 365 days a year! For more information, go to our City Brochure or call the Transit Division (562) 567-9480. Proof of age is required.
- $5 for 10 rides
- $10 for 20 rides
- Proof of age required
Disabled American Vets Meeting
- 3rd Saturday of odd month
- 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. at Whittier Senior Center
American Legion Post 51
- 3rd Tuesday of each month
- 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. at Whittier Senior Center
SASSFA Nutrition Program
The nutrition program is a great way to make friends, enjoy music, and have a delicious meal at the Uptown Senior center. To participate there are a few procedures to follow. Participants must first complete and submit an intake form that is available at the Senior Center front desk. Reservations must be made to have lunch and this must be made 3-4 days in advanced. On the day of your reservation, you must also check in between 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. If you are not signed in by 11 a.m., the Nutrition Site Coordinator will start making calls to people on the waiting list to come in for lunch. If for some reason you are unable to make it, your reservation please the call the coordinator in advance. The suggested donation for lunch is $2.75 for seniors 60 years and older. For any more questions please contact the Nutrition Site Coordinator, Diola. (562) 567-9439. RSVP Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-1p.m.
American War Mothers
- 2nd Saturday
- 8:15 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
Free Legal Counseling
- 3rd Thursday of every month from 9:30 am. at the Whittier Uptown Senior Center (By Appointment Only).
- Call (562) 567-9470
- Class provided at both Parnell Senior Center and the Uptown Senior Centers.
- Come and watch some great movies on the big screen TV at 1 p.m. every Wednesday at Parnell Senior Center, and Monday/Friday at 1 p.m. at the Whittier Uptown Senior Center.
Hearing Aid Check
- 1st Wednesday of the month at both Senior Centers (By Appointment Only).
- Classes will be held at both Senior Centers. Please call for scheduled days.
Join the Walking Group
- The Walking Group meets Tuesday at 9 a.m. at the Whittier Uptown Senior Center (unless otherwise noted).
Information and Referral
- For information and/or referrals to social service agencies (i.e. housing, in-home care, assisted living, emergency food, etc), call the Information & Referral Office at (562) 567-9476.
HICAP at Whittier Uptown Senior Center
- 2nd Fridays, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- The state-registered Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program Volunteer Counselor Daniel Hsu provides unbiased information, counseling and assistance on Medicare and related health care coverage. This service in by APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Grief Support at Whittier Uptown Senior Center
- 4th Friday, 10:00 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.
- Join Remita Health in exploring new ways to cope with feelings of loss and loneliness in a caring and supportive environment. Spanish is available.
- 2nd Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. at Parnell Senior Center.
- 4th Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. at Whittier Uptown Senior Center.
- Lead by Priscilla Flores-Hernandez (Bi-Lingual) from the Southern California Resources Services for Independent Living. Safe and judgement free environment where you can re-discover your voice as you give and receive support to many issues women struggle with. Self-esteem,identity, relationships, work/life balance, family, health and much more.
Kinship Support Group-Relatives Caring for Children
- 4th Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. at Whittier Uptown Senior Center
- Offers peer counseling and support to the many extended family members raising their relatives children. Services provided by (DCSF) Department of Children and Family Services.
Senior Volunteer of the Year
“The heart of a Volunteer is not measured in size, but by the depth of the commitment to make a difference in the lives of others.”
Volunteers are always needed to help in the following areas:
Come see us if you are interested in volunteering at the Senior Center.
Please view the quarterly Community Services brochure for more programs.
Older American Recognition Nomination for 2018
The City of Whittier Senior Center is proud to present Graciela Oropeza
as the 2018 City of Whittier Senior Center Volunteer
In 1994 Graciela came to the Whittier Senior Center and immediately started volunteering in the Nutrition program. She learned all aspects of the job, from making coffee, putting out the condiments, serving the food and cleanup of the equipment and supplies. Graciela helps in the nutrition program daily. She has a calm but enthusiastic nature, which is very helpful when working with people. In addition to volunteering in the nutrition room, Graciela also has taken the lead in our Chair Fitness exercise class, three times a week. Even though it is on video, Graciela makes sure each morning the video is in proper working order, takes in the signup sheet and also monitors the participants to make sure they are doing the exercises correctly. And if she wasn’t busy enough, once a week, Graciela will sing, with a live band, at the nutrition program, while the participants dance. Graciela is an individual who does her work avoiding the limelight. She is very dedicated and supportive to the participants attending the center. The staff and volunteers at the Whittier Senior Center truly appreciate his dedication to our older adults and our center. We look forward to working with Graciela for many more years.